DETROIT, February 12, 2019 – The Global Automotive & Mobility Innovation Challenge (GAMIC) has selected 22 innovative start-ups to move on to the Semi-finals of its 11th annual competition, sponsored by SAE International and MI Innovation Alliance. The 2019 GAMIC Semi-finalists, hailing from seven (7) states and five (5) countries, have a broad array of promising new technologies to advance the vehicles and transportation systems of the future.
To make it to the Semi-finals, the contestants competed in front of senior mobility judges from OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers, as well as from the startup investment community, during late 2018 Quarter-final rounds held: at Ann Arbor SPARK in Ann Arbor, MI; at Techtown Detroit in Detroit, MI; by SAE International in San Jose, CA; and in virtual forums to include companies from India, Israel, and Taiwan among others. Judging criteria used to select the teams moving on to the Semi-finals included their business plans, their uniqueness, and the potential impact of their technologies to the mobility industry.
The 2019 GAMIC Semi-finals will take place on Feb 26 at Schoolcraft College in Livonia, MI. There the companies will compete using judging feedback from the Quarter-finals, and expert counseling from more than 40 GAMIC mentors to improve their pitches. The top 12 teams will then advance to the GAMIC Finals at SAE International’s WCX World Congress Experience in Detroit’s Cobo Center on April 9.
This year’s GAMIC Semi-finalists include:
- 14bis Supply Tracking: 14bis Supply Tracking improves supply chains with proprietary middleware that transforms the way assets are controlled and profitability managed, eliminating paper-based documentation systems by leveraging advanced blockchain technology as a secure interoperability layer. This system is able to read any tagging mechanism and automatically update any industry software system. Houston, TX
- Bedestrian: Bedestrian is a last-mile delivery company utilizing a driverless vehicle system consisting of a pilot vehicle and a modular trailer for indoor and outdoor (Urban) delivery. Ann Arbor, MI
- Bmmpr: The Smart Alarm for Cars. Notifications in around 6 seconds if something has disturbed your vehicle. San Marcos, CA
- CaareSys: Caaresys has developed a non-contact occupancy- and passenger-state monitoring solution that connects passengers to the future cockpit. By monitoring the location, health conditions and state of each vehicle occupant, CaareSys can minimize the effect of human factor and save thousands of lives! Netanya, Israel
- CarbonCap: CarbonCap manufactures an innovative shapeable all-solid-state structural supercapacitor, providing automotive manufacturers with the freedom to redesign and relocate their supercapacitors for design flexibility, enhanced safety and improved performance. Modena, Italy
- Energsoft: Energsoft is a software analytics platform for batteries and energy storage. We help OEM’s and energy storage manufacturers find defects, understand performance and select the best batteries for their products. Seattle, WA
- Enviro Clean Diesel: The Diesel Particulate Removal System (DPRS) utilizes a unique plasma-emitting probe installed into a diesel exhaust pipe which vaporizes particulate matter. Benefits include: improved fuel efficiency and reduced downtime; no regeneration cycle or no need for diesel exhaust fluid; and less soot and NOx. St. Louis, MO
- GBatteries: GBatteries’ technology enables li-ion batteries to charge ultra-fast while retaining long cycle life. ActiveBMS is a charging protocol that significantly improves battery performance without altering its chemistry or manufacturing process. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- HBS Systems: Our patent-pending technology controls postural sway to reduce energy spent on balance and unlocks the knees for proper hip hinge to reduce lower back pain, strain and injury. Warren, MI
- Joyride Technologies: Joyride is a global micro-mobility platform that helps cities reduce their carbon footprint by enabling sustainable transportation. Joyride allows local operators launch a fleet of bikes or scooters anywhere in the world. Tel Aviv, Israel
- MothersonOssia: MothersonOssia focuses on the global integration of Cota Real Wireless Power technology into mobility applications, including passenger, commercial, and public transportation vehicles. The Cota technology enables delivery of wireless power over distance to multiple devices without the need for cables, batteries or charging pads. Farmington Hills, MI
- NiveauUp: Technology Leader of eXtreme Fast Charging (XFC) batteries. Taipei, Taiwan
- NPI Mobile: NPI Mobile is the Intellectual Property holder & Technology developer of street-level sensor & wireless communications for the intelligent infrastructure, contributing to verticals such as: Autonomous Vehicles, Internet of Things, Mobile Data and Smart Cities. Dallas, TX
- Orbitless Drives: ORBITLESS is a patented, novel low-loss gearbox platform enabling ultra-low noise, super high-efficiency gear-heads ideally suited for electric motor applications. Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Retrospect: Retrospect’s development and deployment tool monitors the controls of an automated vehicle (AV) in a safe matter. It does not depend on AI, rather it monitors the decisions that AI makes. Ann Arbor, MI
- S3D Precision Dispensing: S3D creates specialty print heads and compound ink formulas that enable the manufacturing of flexible, embedded sensors, actuators, and electronics onto contoured and textured surfaces. S3D provides the enabling technology for next-generation electronics. Ann Arbor, MI
- SafeMode Tech: SafeMode’s cloud-based solution enhances fleets’ safety and efficiency by shifting the focus to the driver. Tel Aviv, Israel
- Turboroto: A better electro-magnetic solution for motors. Santa Clara, CA
- VectorZero: VectorZero builds interactive road modeling and traffic simulation software. Our main product, RoadRunner, significantly speeds the creation of detailed road networks for simulation and testing. San Diego, CA
- VizierTech: Vizier Tech is a product company focused on mobility and clean energy solutions. Detroit, MI
- Voxel51: Find the signal in the noise of your camera sensor data using our automotive-grade computer vision platform. Ann Arbor, MI
- WaveSense: WaveSense enables the safest and most reliable navigation for self-driving vehicles by creating and tracking against subterranean maps of our roadways using ground-penetrating radar. Utilizing technologies developed for military use, self-driving vehicles using WaveSense can navigate in snow, rain, fog, poor/no lane markings, and other common but challenging conditions created by surface dynamics. Somerville, MA
GAMIC contestants compete in four technology categories –
1) Vehicle Electrification, V2X Communication and Advanced Mobility;
2) Advanced Materials, Sensors, Actuators and Manufacturing Processes;
3) Infotainment, Auto Consumer / Value Add and Value Chain / New Business Models; and
4) New High-Value, Disruptive Technology Innovations
Winners of the GAMIC competition, competing in the above four categories, will receive more than $300k of in-kind commercialization assistance and cash to accelerate their business in the automotive and mobility space. In-kind commercialization prizes include public relations, legal, incubation, financial modeling, engineering modeling, investor prep, and targeted executive introductions – as well as exposure to senior members of OEMs or Tier 1 suppliers with decision-making responsibility, budgets, and the need for the types of technologies our GAMIC winners offer. There will also be $10k awarded by PlanetM for the two Best in Michigan Innovation Companies
Previous GAMIC Winners and Finalists have gone on to greater success, including being acquired or joint venturing, inking licensing contracts, launching their products faster, and obtaining additional development funding due to their enhanced visibility.
GAMIC is an Accredited Partner of STEM.ORG.
GAMIC is a sponsored activity of the MI Innovation Alliance, a 501-c-3 corporation. For additional information visit www.gamicevent.org.
The Global Automotive & Mobility Challenge, or GAMIC, is an annual competition for early-stage automotive and mobility companies with new technologies. It was created to: identify innovative companies from around the world; cultivate new technologies and solutions; and hasten their adoption into the automotive and mobility industries. Participants get exposure to over 15,000 mobility experts at the GAMIC Finals during SAE International’s WCX World Congress in April. Winners share more than $300k in commercialization acceleration services and cash, along with facilitated introductions to the industry’s top decision-makers and influencers.